Thursday, November 12, 2015

Day 281 - Slow

Years ago (+/- 10), we lived in Richmond, VA.  During some of the time that we lived there, I participated in a workout called Seal Team PT.  It was (and probably still is) taught by a former Navy Seal.  There were two class times each day - approximately 5:30am or 6:00pm, and I always went to the morning class.  It was a great workout though a little crazy at times.  We would bear crawl up hills, carry people on our backs, run with a giant inflatable boat over our heads, all very Seal-like. There was also a lot of running.  A lot. I was in great shape.

As I've said before, I have never been a strong runner.  It has always been my exercise hurdle that I have never truly gotten over.  Yes, I have run, but it's never been particularly easy or enjoyable for me.  One morning during Seal Team PT, we were running (and running) halfway across downtown Richmond  It seemed like all we did that morning was run.

Like usual, I was in the back of the pack and was struggling mightily.  Just I was slowing my steps down to a walk, someone from the group ran up behind me, grabbed a fistful of the jacket that I had on and said "you can slow down but don't stop running."  I have no idea who the woman was who said that to me, but it made a big impact on me that day and has stuck with me over the years.  I picked my cadence back up to a run but slowed my pace, got my breathing under control, and ran the rest of the way.

I haven't always heeded her advice, but it is great advice. If you want to be good at something, then you have to do it.  You have to keep going even if you have to go really slowly.  I thought about that as I was trudging through some run/walk intervals this morning.  I did not feel very skilled or efficient during the running parts, but I ran.  I didn't stop running during those times though I wanted to many times.

I've had to slow my pace a lot of times this year.  There have been days when I could barely crawl, much less run, but I kept on crawling (metaphorically of course).  Stopping was never an option, but slowing down so that I could keep going happened often.

Speaking of slowing down, I am finally taking some days off of work. I was off today and will not be going back to work until Wednesday.  I exercised, saw my therapist, and went to the spa today. It was a very "Real Housewives of Charleston" day, and I loved it.  My colleagues gave me a spa gift certificate during the welcome back party that they had for me in Los Angeles, and I enjoyed cashing it in today!

No comments:

Post a Comment