Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Day 272 - Dinner

When I was growing up, more often than not, dinners were eaten together as a family.  Sometimes they were quick, sometimes they were involved, sometimes they were late, but they were most often together.  I will admit that I have not been good about doing the same for my family.

Sitting down together for dinner is something that I have always wanted to do (and have manged sporadically), but it is not consistent.  It's difficult to move right from work to dinner preparation, and I will admit that I am a bit controlling when it comes to cooking.  I often used the time between work and getting Henry fed to play with Henry or let him play outside with his friends (both of which I consider to be important), and dinner together got pushed aside. I managed to get something healthy on the table for Henry, but the bulk of the cooking and eating for Mike and me was done after he went to bed.

Last week, Mike told me that he'd like to help with dinner preparation so that we could get dinner on the table easier and earlier so that we can eat together!  And it's working.  Last night and tonight, we managed to eat dinner together at the table at 6 or 6:15.  I know that something like this sounds so simple, but it was overwhelming to me.  Now that Mike and I are making dinner together, having a meal as a family is a much more attainable goal.  Surely there will be nights when it just does not work, but taking the time to pause and sit down with each other is awfully nice, and I still managed some quality play time with my Henry before we ate.

How wholesome are we these days?!

No comments:

Post a Comment