Friday, November 6, 2015

Day 275 - Accent

We went out to dinner for our anniversary tonight.  A friend gave us a gift card last month to one of our favorite restaurants, the Fat Hen, that we cashed in tonight.  Henry tagged along and wished us happy anniversary at least 3 times while we were at dinner.

The crowd at the Fat Hen did NOT consist of young families.  Henry was the only child that we could spot in the restaurant which always makes me a little uneasy. We were seated between two older couples who did not have 4-year olds with them, and I could tell that the couples were not exactly thrilled that Henry was basically joining them for dinner.  He was on excellent behavior, though, and ended up making friend with the couple to his left.

At one point, Henry and Mike got up to use the facilities, and the woman next to us asked where we are from.  I said that we are from here, and her response was "not originally" in a very heavy New York accent.  I don't have a southern accent so people automatically assume that I am not from the south.  I don't have an accent at all, and nor does Mike.  I told her about our respective backgrounds, and she revealed that she and her husband moved to Charleston from Brooklyn several years ago though her accent gave her away before she told us where she grew up.

I'll admit that I can do pretty good southern and New York accents that I bring out on special occasions, but I don't speak with an accent as a general rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment