Sunday, November 8, 2015

Day 277 - Arms

Anyone who has had lymph nodes removed is at risk for something called lymphedema.  Lymphedema occurs when the lymphatic system cannot drain excess fluid, and it causes painful swelling, numbness, and reduced range of motion.  Generally speaking, the more lymph nodes removed, the greater the risk for developing lymphedema.

I had 3 lymph nodes removed from under my left arm (out of probably 30ish) so my risk for developing lymphedema is low, but my doctors still request that I remain cautious with my left arm as strain or trauma can increase the chances of lymph-related complications.  Part of that caution was taking it WAY easy on my upper body in the gym during radiation and for at least a month after.  Being the good patient that I am, I took that advice and barely used my upper body at the gym.  My trainers modified each workout for me to include very light upper body exercises or to avoid my upper body entirely.

Today was the first day that I really exercised my upper body since July 16 (the day before my surgery).  Thankfully, it was a pretty light day in that department, but I did do pushups and some other exercises that I previously avoided for the first time today.  I will surely be sore tomorrow, but it felt good to be able to participate in the workout without significant restrictions or modifications.

Slowly, slowly small pieces of life before cancer are starting to resurface, and I am happy to find them.  I never know when I will find one of those pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment