Thursday, October 1, 2015

Day 239 - Rain

We are not in the direct path of Hurricane Joaquin but are expecting epic rain to hit the entire state that began today.  Downtown roads started to flood due to high tide at around noon today, and the rain will only add to that flooding.  The Charleston area is expecting anywhere between 12-18 inches of rain in the next 3 days. That is a hell of a lot of rain in a short period of time.  Schools are closed (already) tomorrow. It should be an interesting few days.

As I was walking into my radiation appointment this afternoon, I stopped to talk to the receptionist for a few minutes.  A nurse walked out to let me know that the radiation techs were ready for me so I hustled back.  They gave me a jokingly hard time about being a few minutes late (even though I was already there), and I gave them a jokingly hard time back.  I'm pretty sure that I've waited for hours for them if we add up all of the waiting over the past 6.5 weeks.   It was all in good fun though.

I also saw my therapist this morning, and the appointment was helpful as always.  She's going to try to get me in to see her next week too since it is such a big week. My emotions are running really high right now so seeing her next week would be very helpful.

She pointed out something that I had not previous realized.  I've been operating at a 10 (on a scale of 1-10) since February.  Emotionally and physically, I've been running at full speed, and that is not sustainable. Imagine how quickly your car would run out of gas if you were constantly flooring it. My tank (especially the emotional side of it) is getting pretty low.  I need a break from the extremes and need to run at about a 5 for a nice long period of time.  I am not sure when I'll have that opportunity, truth be told,  but I need to seek it out.

Something else also occurred to me today - I need to prepare a little elevator speech to have on hand for my event at the end of the month.  People are going to ask how I am doing, either because they know what has been going on or because I look somewhat different so I need to be prepared with some answers.  I was emailing back and forth with a show attendee today who mentioned that he was sorry that he missed seeing me in Vegas (for a competing show) last month. I told him that I actually was not in Vegas because I've not been able to travel for a portion of the year.  He responded with "oh right.  I think that I heard you were pregnant.  I hope that all is going/did go well."

I responded and told him what was really going on and made some joke about my new hairdo, but it made me realize that I need to have some answers to questions in my back pocket.  I don't want to make people uncomfortable, and I certainly don't want them to feel sorry for me so I'll have to figure out how to best respond to those who ask. 

No comments:

Post a Comment