Saturday, October 3, 2015

Day 241 - Surprise

About a month after I was diagnosed, I learned of someone who was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. She is 20-years old, in college, and was having some pain while running so she went to the doctor. A series of tests later, she found out that she had cancer.  She left school, has received some of the hardest chemo that exists, has had major major surgery and is back in the chemo chair for a series of treatments that will last until December.  One of her chemo treatments requires hospitalization so that her kidney functioning can be monitored so she spends 4-5 days in the hospital at a time.

She lives in a different town, and we had never met until today!  I coordinate with her mom, and my mom and I went to the hospital to surprise her.  It was so awesome to finally meet and to have the chance to talk about what has been going on with her and me.  We are forever united by our shared experiences, and I am lucky to have her in my life.

Cancer sucks, but it is nice to know that I am not experiencing it alone, and neither is my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment