Saturday, October 17, 2015

Day 255 - Stickers

My grandfather passed away on Wednesday of this week.  He was 91-years old.  When my other grandfather passed away over 7-years ago, I distinctly remember the minister at his funeral saying that death can be a tragedy or death can be a blessing.  Passing on was a blessing for both of my grandfathers though it does not make the loss any less sad.  We celebrated Grandpa's life today, and it was nice to have family together to memorialize him.  His burial was accompanied by military honors which I always find particularly moving, and I could see my grandma tear up when the soldiers handed her the folded flag that had been placed over the casket.  They were married for almost 70 years.  70 years!

In preparation for taking a 4-year old to a funeral, I picked up a few new quite things to keep Henry occupied during the church service.  Walmart sells little packages that contain stickers, a small coloring book and crayons so I snagged two of those, and we brought some of his other toys with us as well.  After the service, the family met visitors in the church parlor.  Henry loves stickers so took the stickers out of both packets and started to hand them out to aunts, uncles and cousins.  Then he took the sheets of stickers and proceeded to walk around the room and give stickers to everyone in the room.  He even made his way over to those waiting to see my grandma to ask each person what sticker he/she would like to have.  Henry totally worked the room as a politician might - talking to everyone, offering stickers, making new friends.  It was thoroughly entertaining.

Children can bring much-needed levity to more somber situations, and I am grateful for that.  I think that he delivered sunshine to almost everyone in the room, and was really worried about those who may not have gotten a sticker once the supply ran out.  Henry hasn't met a stranger, and I am delighted by his social nature.

It is always sad to say goodbye to a family member, but today really was a celebration of my grandfather's 91 years. May we all lead a life as great as his.

No comments:

Post a Comment