Sunday, October 18, 2015

Day 256 - Photos

As we were leaving the house to go have some family photos made this afternoon, Mike looks at me and said something along the lines of "I'm not really sure why we're commemorating this year with all of the bad things that have happened."  I tried (unsuccessfully, in his mind) to refute that comment with examples of good things that have happened or we have done, and he landed on "you being better has been the only good thing so far."

I can see where he is coming from.  This year has had enough challenges for a lifetime.  We've had one income, a cancer diagnosis, a broken arm, and struggles associated with all of the above (to name the biggest things).  2015 has not been my favorite year by a very long shot.  That said, I don't think that my good health news is the only good thing that has happened this year.

Trust me when I say that I've been affected more than anyone by the events of this year (please see half of my blog posts).  When I tried to challenge Mike's statement about the "only good thing" about this year, I really couldn't come up with concrete examples of other good things, but I thought about it for the remainder of the afternoon.

Other good things did happen this year because we kept on living despite the curve balls that were thrown our way.  Birthdays were celebrated, weekends were full of activities or small get aways, friends had babies, we spent time with family and friends, played on the beach, went on boat rides, we laughed a lot, I cried a lot, I snuggled my baby as often as I possibly could, and we kept moving forward with daily life.  I'm pretty damn proud of us for making the very best that we could out of some circumstances that were entirely out of our control.  We kept on living because there was no question that we would do anything differently.

Yeah, a lot of "bad" things have happened this year, but we have made the most of the hand that we were dealt and are looking forward to things continuing to look up. And I cannot WAIT to see the pictures from today!  The photographer that we use is so talented and took a ton of pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment