Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Day 13 - Some Sunshine

A lot of good things happened today:

  1. Mike got home safe and sound from St. Kitts. He was gone for over a week, and I was so glad for him to be home.
  2. My CT scan from yesterday showed no cancer anywhere else in my chest or abdomen.
  3. My brain MRI from today (results came back quickly) showed no cancer in my brain. 
  4. I continue to get so much support and love from family, friends, colleagues, and people I don't even really know.  It's been amazing.  
I will admit that I cried like a baby over items 2 and 3.  I was so nervous about having those extra tests and waiting for the results, but I am insanely relieved that the extra tests came back clear.  I guess that drinking that horrid cocktail yesterday was worth it to get such news. 

I read today that breast cancer patients will often gain weight during chemotherapy. Now, if that does not add insult to injury, I don't know what does.  I guess I will have to revert back to my healthy eating habits instead of my current diet of "eating whatever my nerves will tolerate."  The honest fact is that my nerves are not as bad as they were at first so I need to be real with myself about eating right. I also do promise to continue to be kind to myself during this whole process.  If I gain a few pounds, I gain a few pounds, but COME ON.  

I am getting my port put in tomorrow...the first real step in the plan. That port will deliver life-saving drugs to my body and will also help save my poor veins from being poked every time I walk into a medical office.  I may as well just walk through the front door with my sleeve rolled up and my arm held out.  I've been told that I have good veins (if I do say so myself) and am tired of them getting stabbed on a daily basis.  

Henry and I are so glad that Mike is home.  Now we'll be able to work together to establish our new normal and get through these treatments and any necessary surgery.  The team is in tact, and we're ready to go.  

No comments:

Post a Comment