Thursday, February 26, 2015

Day 22 - Chop Chop

I got my hair cut today so that it is not as dramatic when it does start to fall out.  The cut is nice and short and very cute.  I am a little bit sad that it won't last very long.  We also thinned out my hair a lot to help cope with when it starts to come out and to make sure that I didn't have a giant poof on top of my head.

We'll see if I can style my new do when the time comes.  Doubtful, but I've got a flat iron and a lot of goop for my hair so there is a chance.  I will see my friend/hair stylist on Saturday night so he can critique as necessary, and he said that he will absolutely critique.

It's so hard to believe that Day 1 was only 3 weeks ago.  It seems like so much has happened during that time...probably because SO much has happened during that time.

My stomach was still a bit off today, but I am hopeful that I am nearing the end of that for this cycle of chemo.  I was able to eat more today than yesterday which is a good sign. At least, I will know what to expect moving forward with the next 3 AC treatments so that I can take my anti-nausea meds earlier to try to stay on top of things. "They" say that nausea is not as bad with Taxol, which I will have for my last 4 treatments.

The nausea did seem to lessen as the day went on.  Mike and I even split a milkshake after I had some soup for dinner.  A milkshake!  I can't remember the last time I had a milkshake. Sounds so indulgent.  It was, and it was so delicious.

My largest work event is two months away, and I am grateful to have something to keep me busy.  There is a lot to be done over the next two months, and I feel very fortunate that I can direct a lot of my focus and attention to that right now.  It helps to have something to distract me from everything else that is going on. It will be surreal and kind of sad for me to not actually be at the event in April, but I just don't see how that is even possible. No way can I work the demanding hours that happen during events while I am in the middle of chemo.  That does not even take germ exposure into consideration, which will be important to keep in mind during parts of each chemo cycle.

Apparently on days 6-12 of each chemo cycle, my immune system will be at its lowest. I don't have to be housebound during those days, but I do have to be careful about where I go and what kind of germs I am around. Getting sick during chemo could be very serious so I have to be more careful about germs.

I think that I am experiencing some mild side effects from the Neulasta shot.  Just a bit achey, but nothing too bad. I think that the Claritin that I am taking is helping with that.  Half of the time, I don't know what is causing what in my body.

Henry and I played trucks tonight after he got home from school, and we snuggled on the couch and watched Planes Fire & Rescue.  When I asked him what he thought of my hair, he said "it looks pretty nice."  I don't think that losing my hair will really affect him.  Maybe he will think that my bald head "looks pretty nice."

I read books and tucked him into bed tonight, and he was sure to pick out some of my favorite books - Snowman Christmas and Goodnight Mr. Night for me to read to him. He is just so sweet.

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog. I'm headed to temple tonight and plan on adding you to the prayer list. I know you want as many prayers as possible so I figured a little Jewish prayer couldn't hurt. :)

    ReplyDelete