Sunday, February 22, 2015

Day 18 - The Tiny Giraffe

One of my best friends stopped by today to visit.  Her kids were being watched by their grandparents, and Henry and Mike were running errands.  We had a few precious minutes of uninterrupted time to just talk, and it was so nice.  Yes, we talked about cancer, but we also talked about bad TV, our families, and just general life stuff.  It was so awesome to just have some time.

Mid-visit, she gave me a few gifts - a braided pink bracelet, some comfy jams, and another bracelet.  She got one pink bracelet for me and one for her, and we will both wear them.  Once this is all over, we will cut them off and celebrate.  It is such a wonderful symbol, and I love that she is wearing one too. She also gave me a little bracelet that has a small silver giraffe (Henry's favorite) on it as well as a leaf with the letter "H."  It is for motivation on even my hardest days.  I was so touched by the gifts that I could not control my tears.  They fell and fell.  That has happened to me a lot lately.  I just become so overwhelmed by someone else's thoughtfulness.

Another one of my best friends sent a care package for Henry (and, in turn, me).  It is a box of small wrapped gifts that we can pull out on days when I don't feel like doing much and Henry needs some entertainment.  The gifts range from arts and crafts projects to small toys to help us help Henry.  I haven't opened any of them as that will be part of the allure for Henry, but I know how much thought and care was put into each of those little gifts.  Life will be somewhat different for Henry, and she is helping make those changes better for him.

Over these past few weeks, all of my loved ones have been so generous with both their words, time, and symbols of strength and love.  If I listed all of them, this post would go on for days and days.  Each phone call, card, text, email, visit, gift that I get from my family and friends is a reminder of how much love and support I have from all across the world.

I don't use this word lightly because I think that it is overused, but I feel so blessed to have so much support and love in my life.  Cancer has taught me so much already.

Today was blissfully normal.  We took Jessup for a walk around the block and talked to some neighbors while we were out, and I took Henry to a birthday party this afternoon.  A little girl at his school invited him to her 4th birthday party at Chuck E Cheese.  On one hand, I am bummed that Henry knows that Chuck E Cheese exists, but on the other, it was so fun to watch him have a good time with his friends.

He and his friend from school (the birthday girl) were joined at the hip all during the party.  They held hands and guided each other through the crowd with a hand on each other's back.  It was very sweet amid the chaos of Chuck E Cheese.

I have no doc appointments tomorrow, and have no plans to even call a doctor's office.  It will be a nice day of peace and focus entirely on work.  I am so lucky to have a job that is fast-paced and busy because it helps to have the need for focus during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment