Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Day 210 - Purpose

I was talking to my therapist yesterday about purpose, and I told her that I feel very compelled to find purpose in what I have experienced over the last 8 months.  While I will never fully understand why I have been through this, I am determined to find a purpose behind it.  I have no idea what that will look like, but I must find some good in this, and I think that I will find the good by helping others face similar experiences.

My therapist encouraged me to listen to that voice and to work to find out what that purpose looks like for me.  She said that those who do the best after experiencing something like I have are the ones who are able to turn it toward the greater good.

She brought up an interesting point during our conversation that I had not thought about.  She said that people, especially women, who are diagnosed with cancers besides breast cancer tend to feel a little bit more isolated than those who have faced breast cancer.  It makes total sense.  Breast cancer is rampant and, therefore, has a strong support system.  You can find myriad support groups, both online and in person, non-profits dedicated to helping, books and other literature, and can easily find others with whom an experience can be shared.

I wonder if there is a way that I can help bridge the gap between breast and other cancers.  Something to consider for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment