Monday, September 14, 2015

Day 222 - Crisp

It was so cool and crisp outside this morning, and that makes me happy.  It warmed up considerably during the day, but this morning let us know that fall is around the corner.  I love fall.  There is something so delightful about cool mornings/evenings and warm(ish) days.  The humidity is finally starting to dissipate, and it is so nice to be outside.

I walked our dog this morning before work and felt invigorated inserted of sweaty when I got back. So nice.

It is almost time for the annual Touhill Family Pumpkin Extravaganza in preparation for Halloween.  The Extravaganza has taken many forms over the years - grocery store pumpkins, pumpkins from farmers markets, and pumpkins from farms.  Regardless of the source, I enjoy choosing the perfect pumpkins for carving and for adorning our front steps.

As soon as Henry was old enough to appreciate a good Extravaganza (yes, that should be capitalized), we started sourcing our pumpkins from a local farm.  The farm has a pumpkin patch from which we choose our carving pumpkins and some pre-picked heirloom pumpkins that I use for decorations.  We usually come home with at least 5-6 for a variety of different uses.

I embrace pumpkin carving and spend a lot of time planning out what to do with pumpkins. One year, I drilled holes into a pumpkin so that it looked like it had polka dots.  That was pretty cool, but took way more effort that I had originally anticipated.  Last year, I carved 3 pumpkins - a race car, smiley face, and bat.  The year before, I did a digger truck and dump truck. The digger truck is probably some of my finest carving work.

Mike is a reluctant participant in the Touhill Family Pumpkin Extravaganza as he does not quite share the enthusiasm for Halloween that Henry and I have, but he always ends up having fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment