Thursday, September 24, 2015

Day 232 - Rave

Last night, at around 10pm, Mike and I heard Henry walking around upstairs.  Mike hustled upstairs to find out why Henry was awake and immediately summoned me up to assess the situation.  Henry had snuck into my office, pulled out approximately 75 glow sticks (I had ordered a pack of 100 from Amazon), cracked them all, and had them in his bed with him.  His bed was all aglow. You might imagine that such an infraction was not well-received by his parents.  The glow sticks went into the trash, and a tearful Henry finally went to bed.  He was having his own personal rave in his bed at 10pm on a Wednesday night. 

Bedtime tonight was accompanied by stern warnings and a description of consequences (no sleeping in his tent over the weekend) for sneaking out of his room for anything other than a trip to the bathroom.  Hopefully we made our point.

Entirely unrelated, I spoke with two of my doctors on the phone today.  My radiation oncologist called me to discuss the boosts that I will get at the end of my treatment.  She started the call with "I didn't want to leave this in a voicemail, but I was looking at your CT scan..."  After my heart started to beat again, she said that she had been thinking about me and wanted to let me know that the surgical cavity had gotten smaller so the boost area would be smaller than anticipated.  She also reinforced the importance of the boots because I recently asked her if I needed them.  I both need and want them so we are on the same page.  She called while on vacation so clearly she takes her work home with her.  The start of her call totally freaked me out (kind of bad delivery), but she was really just calling because she cares.

My surgeon also called me this afternoon.  Earlier in the week, I dropped a copy of the WSJ article in the mail to him because I figured he'd appreciate it.  He did.  He said that he was glad to read the article and appreciated my portion of it.  He also told me that I am one of the most proactive/involved patients that he has ever had.  He said that he appreciated how well-versed I became in my care and in best practices for TNBC treatment.  Those words really meant a lot to me because I certainly took a very active role in my treatment, and I never knew if it was an annoying or admirable quality in the eyes of my doctors.  Clearly, it was the latter. Very meaningful words from a man that I have trusted with my life and respect a great deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment