Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Day 230 - Single Digits

I only have 9 more radiation treatments to go.  4 full-field treatments and 5 boosts!  It is very hard to believe that I am in the single digits now.  Radiation has sped by (as people said that it would) for the most part though there have been some days when it felt like radiation would never end.

As I've stated, and will likely continue to do so, I have mixed emotions about treatment ending.  I am both excited and scared out of my mind, and I am going to have to choose to focus on being excited as much as I can.

In the spirit of finding purpose behind all of this, I've applied to be a volunteer with two different organizations - METAvivor and Young Survival Coalition.  Both are organizations that do a lot of good, and I would be happy to lend my time and talents as much as I can.  METAvivor is just looking for general volunteers so I've sent them a note about what skills I can offer and am waiting to hear back.

YSC has a program that they are implementing called RISE, and I REALLY want to participate.  Really badly.  https://www.youngsurvival.org/ignite/rise I emailed them to ask them to consider my application even though my diagnosis falls outside of the time parameters outlined in the program requirements, and they said that they would.  I wrote a compelling personal statement, submitted everything, and now I wait.  I feel very passionately about the importance of science and research and would like for my voice to be heard as it relates to that.  Science and research are the only way that the ever-elusive cure will be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment