Thursday, September 10, 2015

Day 218 - Primary

I have not had a primary care physician in years.  I rarely got sick so if I ever needed any kind of perscription, I would go to urgent care.  That worked well for a while, but I figured it was time to seek out a new primary care doctor.  I was seeing a holistic medicine doctor at the beginning of the year, but I decided not to see him again after he was a bit of an ass when I got my cancer diagnosis.

I find myself getting unintentionally combative in doctor's offices, but I think that it is justified sometimes.  I called the doctor's office this morning to ask if they had my information in their computer system since most of my physicians are in the same system.  They checked and said yes but did ask me to bring in the medical authorization form from their website.  Done.  Printed it, filled it out, and took it into the office with me.  When I checked in, the receptionist proceeded to tell me that I would need to fill out new patient paperwork and was not pleased when I said "I'm not doing that."  I explained why and told her about the discussion that I had with the person on the phone earlier.  She went to check with someone and sent me on my way but was not happy about it.

I hate to act like that (really, I do), but I spend SO much time in doctor's offices so I kind of know the drill.  I prefer to fill out paperwork in advance vs. while sitting in the office, and I also know that all of my records are already in their system...part of the reason why I see doctors in the same hospital system.

Anyway, I really like my new doctor.  He spent a lot of time talking to me about my diagnosis and knew enough about TNBC to be able to discuss it with me. I appreciated that very much.  He looked in my ears (that are STILL giving me problems), and suggested that I try Flonase for a month to try to get the fluid out of my left ear.  If that does not work, he may refer me to an ENT to take a look.

I have established care with a PCP, and I got to keep all of my clothes on for this appointment. Win/win. 

No comments:

Post a Comment