Monday, July 6, 2015

Day 152 - Run

I attempted to run for a little bit during my lunch break today, and it was not so pretty.  Earlier in the year when I was begging my oncologist to "let" me go to the gym, he said "you might find that your endurance is not where it once was."  That statement has proven true over the last several months when I have exercised.  Today was no exception.

I did week 1/day 1 of the Couch to 5K program and could not finish all of the running.  C25K is a great program and one that I have done before that prepares one to run a 5K via walking/running intervals that increase the running and decrease the walking over a series of several weeks.  Today, the easiest day, kicked my butt.  I did 75% of the running and will repeat day 1 on Wednesday at a cooler time of day. Biking in the heat of the day is tolerable due to the breeze..running is not.

Anyway, I am glad that made the attempt and am sure that my body will eventually catch up.  Previous challenges with running were all mental for me, but now I think that I am in a way better place mentally but need to catch up physically.  I will be sore from the small amount of running that I did today.  Baby steps (seems to be my mantra).

My upcoming surgery will temporarily sideline any running, but why not go ahead and try to get back into it over the next 10 days.  After I heal from surgery, I should be able to run some during radiation barring any major burns or fatigue. 

I am also really starting to focus on adding additional supplements to my diet.  I am currently taking vitamin D, vitamin B-12, glucosamine, and biotin.  I'll add turmeric/curcumin to the mix on Wednesday after it arrives from Amazon.  There is some evidence that turmeric can help prevent recurrence, and while the FDA does not have an official stance on it, it can't hurt to try it.  Turmeric does reduce inflammation in the body so I will benefit from it regardless. 

My radiation oncologist may put a temporary hold on all supplements during radiation, but we'll see.  The work to be as healthy as possible continues.  Baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment