Friday, July 10, 2015

Day 156 - Apology

I always find it refreshing when an organization takes the time to properly apologize for a misstep.  I received this note from the CEO of the Young Survival Coalition in my FB inbox this morning:

I am writing to you directly to apologize, and also to let you know that I took the YSC post about Spensers down this morning. Even though the post is down, I didn’t want you to think that I did not read your message and that I didn’t hear you. I TOTALLY GET IT … the name of Spenser’s Foundation “boobies make me smile” - is offensive and upsetting. 

As a young woman who also has lost both my breasts from breast cancer I have always been troubled with their name “Boobies Make me Smile” (it is a terrible name). You have my word as the CEO of YSC - that YSC puts the young breast cancer survivor first before all else – always. However that does not change the reality of Spenser’s Foundation name and that YSC upset you with our post. I am deeply sorry … I really am. And I am here and open to any more conversation… 

Jennifer Merschdorf CEO, Young Survival Coalition

I assume that she wrote to anyone who commented on their Facebook post.  It was a nice thing to do. The YSC internet take-down continued well into the night last night, but it seems to have worked.  There is, of course, no information on whether or not they terminated their relationship with the old "Boobies Make me Smile," but it is a start.  

I'll admit that I was a little cranky today.  There was a lot going on at work, and most of it was very last minute.  Sometimes that can't be helped, but it is frustrating.  It got handled, though, and that is the most important thing.   

Despite a very busy day, I picked Henry up early, and we headed to the pool.  We had a great time, and he even made friends with some neighborhood kids.  Henry is not a shy child but sometimes gets shy when approaching kids that he does not know to play. Once he gets over the initial shyness, he always has a great time.  It is cute to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment