Sunday, July 26, 2015

Day 172 - Putt

We had a delightfully lazy morning that included movies, books, a long bath for me, coffee, and general hanging around.  After we pulled ourselves together, we went to play putt putt  (or mini golf as most of the world calls it).  There is a place relatively near us that has mini golf, go karts, video games, bounce castles, and a climbing wall.  We stuck to mini golf, go karts, and a few video games.  I am horrible at putt putt, and Henry is not much better, but we had so much fun messing around.  After we played our 18, Mike and Henry raced another family the track.  I figured that go karts probably would not be wise for me so I watched.  Henry talked us into a few arcade games, and we headed out in search of lunch.

After lunch, we went to a few shops and came home for some more chilling and playing.  Henry loves legos and blocks and can build some pretty impressive structures so he and I built and knocked down towers for a little while.  He is very creative, and I like to watch him put things together.  I can almost see the wheels turning in his head.

In the wake of continuing to celebrate my good news, I saw some sad news this afternoon.  A woman who had TNBC passed away early this morning.  I checked in on her via the internet from time to time depending on where I was emotionally as she and her family kept a Facebook page (Fighting Cancer with Sarah Amento) documenting her battle, and battle she did. The tenacity with which she worked to live was admirable, to say the least.  She tried conventional treatments, alternative treatments, treatments abroad that she could not get in the US.  You name it, she tried it.  It was impressive and shows the lengths that a mother will go to be with her children.

When someone passes away from cancer, you often hear people say that she (or he) lost her battle.  I find that phrase infuriating.  There is no way to "win" an unfair fight. Sarah Amento certainly did not lose.  Her opponent was just unmatched despite all of her efforts.  Her Facebook page is worth a browse if you're so inclined.  She was a beautiful person who did everything that she possibly could, and I know that she will be missed.

Stories that end the way that hers did are sobering and show the desperate need for more treatments for cancer.  For certain types of cancers, TNBC included, doctors "throw the book at it" because that is all that they have.  No one knows what causes, fuels or shuts down TNBC so patients have traditional treatment (chemo, surgery and radiation) and hope for the best.  For most, "the best" happens, but the alternative is devastating.  There is a social media movement using the hashtag #stageivneedsmore, and it really does.

Despite the somber end to this blog post, I am in a good place, and we had a truly wonderful weekend.  I am sad that it is over.  I am looking forward to a great week.  I am having dinner with my Young Survival Coalition group on Thursday, and have something special to celebrate on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment