Monday, August 3, 2015

Day 180 - De-Ported

My port came out at around 2:30 this afternoon!  The port removal was an in-office procedure which was good and bad.  It was good that I did not have to be put under general anesthesia, even better that I did not have to go to the hospital, and really great that my surgeon was particularly chatty (for him) so that I was somewhat distracted during the procedure.

The bad is that I could see and feel (to an extent) what was going on, and that was pretty freaky.  I was numbed with several shots lidocaine so nothing hurt, other than a stitch or two, but I could hear some cutting and feel some tugging.  Yikes. Thankfully, the procedure was quick, and I was distracted enough.

Once the port came out, my doctor stitched me up with dissolvable stitches, put a few bandages on and sent me on my way.  The bandages can come off on Wednesday, and the stitches will dissolve when they're good and ready I guess.  I took a picture of the port but declined the option to take it home with me.  I was pretty attached to it (both literally and figuratively), but I do not want it in my life anymore.  I'll refrain from posting the picture but am happy to text or email it to any interested parties.

At one point, I was afraid to take my port out.  This is pretty warped, but I thought that taking it out would be a bad omen.  As in, if I took it out, I would need it again, but if I left it in, I would not need it.  Kind of a strange way of thinking.  I don't think that way anymore, though.  I am glad that it is out.

I am pretty sore from the procedure and may take one of my prescription pain pills before bed.  Getting that was such a huge milestone.  I was so grateful to have the port because it saved my veins from getting trashed by chemo, and it made things relatively easy during my treatments.  I am even more grateful to have it out. My surgeon reminded me that there are some who never get their ports removed and some who never stop chemo. 

I am one of the lucky ones, and I never take that for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment