Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Day 188 - Well

"I am glad to see that you're doing so well."  One of my cousins said that to me as he (and several other family members) left my house after dinner this evening.  It was so nice of him to say that, and it is so nice to be able to agree with him.  I am doing so well.  Yes, I have my moments; moments when my mind gets away from me or moments when I still wonder if all of this really has happened (it has).  Mostly, though, I am well. 

Currently, my mind is my worst enemy.  I over-analyze everything that is going on with my body, and that is a very normal part of being where I am in this process. Both my surgeon and my oncologist have warned me about this time-period, and both have been right.  My surgeon said it well as we were chatting during my port removal "when you are getting chemo, you attribute all aches and pains to chemo.  After chemo is when the worry kicks in."  He's right.  During chemo, everything was blamed on chemo.

All cancer survivors (bar none) say that these feelings and worries get better with time.  I believe them and will give myself time to heal in all aspects.  I certainly do not expect for my body to bounce back right away and must have the same realistic expectations for my mind.

As I said above, we had a bunch of family members over for dinner tonight, and it was so much fun.  We shared a lot of stories and had a lot of laughs, just as any family gathering should be. Henry ate up the extra attention that he received, as he tends to do.  It was a great night all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment