Thursday, August 27, 2015

Day 204 - Train

I read Steam Train Dream Train to Henry before I put him to bed tonight.  It is one of my favorite books, and I got a little teary toward the end of it.  Reading that book reminded me of a simpler time. We were first introduced to that book last summer when we were on vacation with two other families in the Outer Banks.  One morning, I read that book to all 4 kids who were there.  It is a very cute book, and the cadence lends itself perfectly to a bedtime story.  

This trip was almost exactly one year ago, and we had no idea how simple and great things were. I miss that simplicity. Of course, there is no point in missing the past as it is just that - past.  I am ok with some occasional nostalgia, though, as I have so many wonderful memories that are worth revisiting often.  I've got a lot more memories to build and even have some great ones from the past 7 months despite struggles. 

I had lunch with a friend who also has TNBC today, and it was so wonderful to catch up with her.  She asked me if I still have moments of teariness, and I do.  They are fewer and further between than when I was first diagnosed, but they do still crop up on occasion.  In the interest of full disclosure, I had moments of teary nostalgia well before my cancer diagnosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment