Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Day 182 - Couple

My surgeon is a very considerate person and always asks about Mike/Henry, my job, and how I am doing in general.  When I saw him on Monday for my port removal, he asked how Mike was doing with everything.  I said that he is mostly fine, but I know that there have been some tough days for Mike. He feels pretty helpless as it relates to me, and I know that "helpless" is a very difficult feeling.  As he was walking out, the doctor said "I am glad that you are both doing well.  This is a very hard thing to experience as a couple."

I found those words to be so touching and so true.  A serious medical diagnosis is a difficult thing to experience as an individual, and it is difficult for those when those who love me to experience it too.  Mike has been in trenches with me the most, and has seen the good, the bad, and the ugly.  He held my hand the first time that my port was accessed because I was so scared that it would hurt. He had to pull me off of the floor when I almost passed out.  He has seen me fall asleep on the couch at 5:00pm..the moment that I finished work.  He shaved my head when I was finally ready. He tucked me into bed on nights when I could hardly walk up the stairs and get ready for bed. He has seen me laugh, cry, and scream more since February than he ever has. 

Mike has also been the first to celebrate my MANY victories with me.  That has been the best part.  It has been so fun to share good news with him, and I have had a lot of it.  When I got the news of my PCR, his relief was so evident that I could almost feel it.

This year has certainly challenged us as a couple in so many ways, and we are going to come out stronger together because of it.  Yes, a cancer diagnosis has been a very hard thing to experience together, but we are doing ok..just another item to add to the list of things for which I am very grateful. 

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite posts so far. So happy for you sweet little family.

    ReplyDelete