Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Day 181 - Mapping

I had my radiation planning/mapping session today, and it's not much to write about, but I will do my best.  I basically spent the whole time in a scanning machine, and two techs moved me around, drew on me, took some pictures, and I had a scan (CT scan I think).  My radiation oncologist came in for a few minutes to say hi, put some stickers on my chest, complimented me on my excellent pathology report again, and headed out.  It was a very strange experience.

Now that they have my scan, they will spend some time over the next week or so planning out my radiation based on the scan that they did today.  I go back on Sunday, August 16 for a dry run during which I will go in the radiation machine but will not actually receive any radiation.  I have marks on my chest that will be used to help position me properly for radiation.  They just used a marker on my skin and covered the marks with some tegaderm (waterproof stickers) so that they stay put.  If the marks start to come off, I may have to get some small tattoos, but the marks should be sufficient.

My radiation will start on Tuesday, August 18, and I will go at 3:15 every day.  If radiation is administered on Labor Day, I will finish on October 1.  If it is not administered on Labor Day, I will finish on October 2.  I appreciate the radiation oncology department's commitment to getting me started as soon as possible so that I can travel at the end of October.

I anticipate that radiation will be fairly easy but not without some side effects.  People report some skin changes as well as fatigue.  I don't know that I've experienced actual fatigue so am not sure what to expect there. Yes, I have had days in which I can hardly move from being tired, but they are single days, not multiple days or weeks.  I suppose that I will know when/if fatigue hits.

I saw my therapist this afternoon, and it was such a great appointment.  I was thrilled to tell her ALL of the good news that I have received since I saw her last.  She was so happy for me, and I appreciate her enthusiasm on my behalf.  We had a great appointment and may consider scaling back the frequency of the sessions in the next month to 6 weeks depending on how things are going.

After my therapist appointment, I went to the spa!  One of my brothers got me a gift certificate to a spa at a very swanky hotel after my last chemo, and I had what they call a top to toe massage.  It was a 25 minute scalp/neck massage and a 25 minute foot massage.  It was the best massage I have ever had.  The head/neck part incorporated hot stones, and it was incredible.  I love massages, in general, but can't have a full body massage right now because of my surgery/port removal so chose the scalp and foot massage and am so glad that I did.

I am ready to get started with radiation but will enjoy this next week and a half with no doctor appointments.

No comments:

Post a Comment