Monday, August 31, 2015

Day 208 - Ear

When Henry and I were at the pool on Saturday, I spent a lot of time swimming underwater to sneak up on him and pinch his little legs.  I was pretending to be a shark, and Henry was delighted by it.  I am paying for doing that a little bit, though. My ears are really full again, and I can relate it directly to going underwater in the pool. I guess I need to visit an ENT to find out why water can get into my ears but cannot get out.

In the meantime, I will continue my essential oil protocol that worked the last time my ears were really full and hope that it works again.  Oh well. Some minor ear discomfort was worth the fun that we had in the pool.  Nothing beats giggles and squeals of delight.

I talked to a reporter from the Wall Street Journal today.  She wanted to talk to breast cancer survivors who lean heavily on online support groups and social media to make treatment decisions.  I would not and did not say that I lean "heavily" on those groups, but I certainly did seek opinions and personal experiences from them.  She was particularly interested in learning whether or not social media swayed my surgical decision, and she was surprised to learn that it did not.  I would say that 9 women out of 10 in these groups recommend a bilateral mastectomy when it comes to surgery, and many are quite opinionated about it.

Many women are choosing mastectomy despite being candidates for breast conservation surgery, and some are asking why women are making that choice.  Here's an interesting article by the same reporter that I talked to today:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/defying-doctors-more-women-with-breast-cancer-choose-double-mastectomies-1436545322 

We'll see if she uses what I discussed with her today, but I am glad that I had the experience of talking with her.  It is important to me to be vocal about my experience in hopes that it will help someone else down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment