Monday, August 24, 2015

Day 201 - Escalate

I escalated my disgust with the "bobbleboobs" via social media today.  I did not do it to be a jerk or disparage our minor league baseball team, that we like a lot.  I did it to encourage organizations to think about the ramifications of their approach to breast cancer awareness.  As I said to a friend today, we should not be talking about "tatas" or "boobs."  We should be talking about lives.

The baseball team responded but did not apologize for being offensive or degrading.  I was disappointed by that, and voiced that disappointment.  It's unfortunate that 1,000 "bobbleboobs" made their way into the world, but I feel good about making my concerns known and doing my part.

As we near October, breast cancer awareness month, these types of things are going to be all over the place.  I recently saw a call for breast cancer survivors interested in being on the Steve Harvey Show.  The criteria for inclusion were: must be in good health, must be finished with treatment, and must be unhappy with reconstructive surgery that was done.  The show will be focused on "fixing" the look of breasts.  Certainly botched reconstruction should be addressed and fixed, but it should not be made into a spectacle.  Of course, there will always be a spectacle if there are willing participants.

On the flip side, I know someone who recently photographed women for the October edition of a major magazine. The magazine will focus on breast cancer from all angles - early stage, metastatic, women who have had reconstruction, and women who have chosen not to have reconstruction (and probably others).  I think that will be a very powerful piece, and I am looking forward to seeing it come October.

No comments:

Post a Comment