Friday, August 14, 2015

Day 191 - Elbow

This one of my favorite memes currently floating around Cancerland:

And man, does it illustrate how easy it is to get spun up over an ache or pain.  Over the past week or two, I have had what I would call a sensation in the right side of my abdomen.  It's not a pain, not even a discomfort. Just a "humm...that feels like it could be a cramp one day."  I would describe it as though I am about to get a stitch in my side from exercising but then don't.  It's a mild feeling.

I've spent way more time obsessing over this mild feeling than anyone ever should, and spent a bit too much time on the internet as it relates to said mild feeling too.  But, the upper right side of the abdomen hold some important organs - liver, pancreas, gallbladder (can do without this one but can be problematic), and I could not let go of the fact that something could be wrong.

I called my surgeon's office yesterday and asked if I could get an abdominal ultrasound.  He agreed and scheduled one for me for this morning because your stomach has to be empty and your gallbladder has to be full in order to see anything.  (little tidbit)  So I went to the hospital at 10:15 and had the ultrasound done.

The ultrasound tech could not tell me anything because she is not allowed but said that the radiologist would read the report and send it to my doctor within 24-48 hours.  Negative.  24-48 hours is way too far away.  I called my surgeon's nurse on my way home from the hospital and asked if she could put a little spin on the ball and get my results earlier.  She said that she would try and would call me back.  She never called me back so I called the office again before they closed and reached my doctor.

"Your ultrasound was totally normal. I think you need to relax a little."

I think that I need to relax a little too and will do so happily now that I know that the ultrasound is normal.  I honestly knew that it would be normal, but I needed to have it done anyway for my own peace of mind.

Part of me feels a little silly even admitting that I was so freaked out, but only a little part. This is reality for someone who has been in my shoes.  Aches, pains, or even mild sensations are disconcerting.  I'll learn the balance between listening to my body/being vigilant and overreacting.  This one happened to be an overreaction, and I am glad that it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment