Monday, March 2, 2015

Day 26 - Travel

Last year, I traveled for work at least once a month with a few exceptions.  I don't think that I traveled in June, and I know that I didn't travel in December.  The trips were all over the place, and there were some fun trips along the way.  In September, alone, I was in Chicago, Milwaukee, Las Vegas, Los Angeles (for approx 13 hours), and Texas.  I didn't even have time to reach out to LA family while I was there because I landed at 9pm, slept, looked at two hotels for events, and took off at noon the next day.  It was crazy and very exhausting.

This year will be different.  I will not be able to travel as much as last year, and that is a good thing.  I took two work trips already this year - one in January, and one in February, and that will be it for a long time. My treatment plan will not allow for travel, and it will not allow me to keep the pace that I did in 2014.  This will be a time for slowing town, a time for healing, and a time to really focus on what is important in my life  - family and health.

I do have an event in LA in October that I would like to try to work.  It is at the end of October, and if I can start my radiation no later than the beginning of September, I should be able to go.  Maybe Mike and Henry will join me, and we'll make a trip out of it and see our family out there.  I do love Southern California.  The event is going to be at the Millennium Biltmore in Downtown LA, which is a beautiful hotel, but it is insanely creepy.  There is absolutely no way that it is not haunted.  I was there for 1 hour in broad daylight in the morning and got the chills a few times walking through the place.  Should be interesting if I actually get to stay there for a few nights.  I promised a co-worker that we could get adjoining rooms in case we get spooked during the night.

There is something about travel that I like.  I've been fortunate to see new places, stay in beautiful hotels, and meet very interesting people along the way, but work travel can be lonely.  Sure, I am up for walking around a new place by myself or having a meal by myself, but there is only so much of that one can do.  I enjoy the opportunity to travel to these places, and I enjoy coming home from them even more.  I've often crept into Henry's room late at night after returning from a trip to just look at him for a little while and kiss his sweet sleeping face (I do that every night, to be honest, but there is something different about it after being gone for a little while).

Henry continues to be my little hero.  I was showing him pictures of women without hair over the weekend to get him used to the idea.  As I was showing him a picture of a particularly striking woman, I said "isn't she beautiful."  "Yes, mom.  She certainly is."  He loves to use "certainly" in conversation.  It is very endearing.

I talked to a woman today who is a 15-year survivor of triple negative breast cancer, and it was so great to talk to her.  She had some helpful advice and gave me some great suggestions to help cope with anxiety and negative thoughts.  She recommended starting something called "The Morning Pages."  Each morning (or whenever) hand-write 3 notebook pages worth of thoughts.  Just random free-flowing thoughts. No editing, spell checking, or monitoring what I am saying.  I am to allow it to be a place where I can express anxiety and worry, and it should be my only place/time to worry.  As she said, if a thought comes into your mind, tell yourself that you are saving it for "The Morning Pages" and move on with your day.  I like it.

Now, I am off to find the perfect notebook for The Morning Pages.  I've got one in mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment