Sunday, March 1, 2015

Day 25 - G.I. Jane

I was pretty tired this morning from staying out way past my bedtime last night, but it was worth it.  We had a great time with our friends and got to meet some new people along the way.  We went to a late dinner at a restaurant downtown called Fish.  Little did I know that the bar at Fish turns into Club Fish as Saturday night wears on.  Club Fish was the total package - loud, dark, and full of girls wearing hardly any clothes.  I ran into some of those girls during a trip to the ladies before we left.  They were loudly chatting and carrying on, and I was hoping that all of their parts stayed in their very stretchy dresses.  There was a line, of course, and a young(ish) girl stood behind me.  When it was my turn, she said "go ahead, miss."  Go ahead miss.  MAN, am I that old?!  I thought that I was dressed pretty nice in my black dress and tall brown boots, but apparently, my age is showing a little bit. Go ahead, miss.  I had fun telling everyone that story when I returned to the table.

I was saying goodbye to our friend Michael last night, and was telling him that I am going to call him when my hair starts to go so that he can bring his clippers over and buzz my head.  Someone else (unaware of my situation) overheard me saying that and said "what are you going G.I. Jane on us?"  He has no idea.  Yes, I am going G.I. Jane, in more ways that one.  Such an apropos remark given the current test of my physical, mental, and emotional abilities with which I am currently being presented.

It was rainy and dreary in Charleston today so we stuck to indoor activities.  Mike and Henry ran some errands and got Henry a much-needed haircut while I devoured a People Magazine that a friend sent to me and relaxed for a little while.  In the afternoon, I took Henry to play with a friend at Monkey Joe's.  Monkey Joe's is a kid's dream come true - bounce castles, slides, and junk food.  It can get really crowded, and the big kids can be a problem, but Henry loves it so much and can totally hold his own with the big kids.  He's always been able to do that.  Mike enjoyed some well-deserved down time while Henry and I were out.

Tonight at bedtime, Henry chose a book of Irish Stories for Children that his grandma got him when she went to Ireland a few years ago.  It is a very nice book, but I can only pronounce every other word in it so I just make up names and locations as I go.  There is a lot to love about the Irish, but their affinity for spelling things exactly opposite of how they should be pronounced is not one of them.

Over and Out,
G.I. Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment