Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Day 41 - 3:00am

3:00am seems to be my personal witching hour.  If I wake up during the night, it is generally around 3:00am (well lately, that is).  This morning, I woke up with really bad pain in my knees.  I assume that it is from my bones working to regenerate white blood cells.  Bone/joint pain is a common side effect from the Neulasta injection that I get after each chemo treatment.  It is more common to experience the bone pain in large bones such as the legs and hips, but the knees are not out of question.  I felt like a 90-year old for a good portion of the day and was not exactly thrilled about it. 

The great news is that my stomach is almost back to 100%...I guess I am just trading some knee pain for that.  I loaded up on Advil today, went for a walk to try to work out the kinks, and worked a normal work day.  Quick trip to the oncologist office for a Lupron injection but otherwise a fairly uneventful day.

I did cancel my trip to the gym that I had planned for this evening due to the knee pain.  I figured a gentle walk around the block would be beneficial, but more difficult exercise was not a good idea since walking down the stairs in my house was not exactly pain-free today.

After Mike got back from dropping off Henry this morning, I had a good long vent/cry to him.  It was very cleansing and helped me to deal with my ongoing frustrations that I am experiencing this week.  Trading in one ache/pain for another is not really of interest to me, but none of this is really of any interest to me.   This is the hand that I have been dealt, and I am mostly handling it well, but I sense that my frustrations and annoyances will continue to grow vs. fade as I work my way through chemo. 

I am giving myself permission to be cranky and hope that all will forgive any whiny posts on occasion.

In speaking with a co-worker today, I came to the realization that I am even more grateful for my job right now than I was on Day 1 (and that was a lot).  I am so thankful for the focus that my job requires as it allows me to tuck cancer away for a very long portion of the day.  I think that I would be a real mess without the "distraction" of work.

I also maintain my gratitude for my wonderful husband and son.  That goes without saying on all days, but I still like to get it out there on occasion.  Henry went to school decked out in green today because he didn't want the "St. Patrick's Leprechaun" to pinch him.  His school usually has a lot of fun with St. Patrick's day, and I am glad that he was into the festivities even bright and early this morning. 

Henry had the biggest set of the giggles tonight.  It was contagious and totally made my day.  He has the best belly laugh ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment