Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Day 49 - Vacation

I recently announced to Mike that the three of us going to take a major vacation late this year after my treatment is over.  I didn't say "what do you think about taking a vacation?"  I said "we are taking a vacation!"  I feel pretty strongly about this.  I want to go somewhere warm and tropical that is easy to get to and is kid-friendly.  I'd also like to go somewhere on Southwest Airlines.  We have about 50K SW points and will have more soon since we put everything, including my medical bills on our airline CC.  I mean, we may as well get some perks from the medical expenses.  SW now flies to certain places in the Caribbean and Mexico so we'll probably go that route. Time to get Henry a passport.

We'll all deserve a vacation after this, and I am looking forward to exploring options and planning something fun.   I'll try to find something for late November/early December so that I can be confident that treatment will be over.  I should know more about the surgical and radiation parts of my treatment fairly soon.

I have an appointment with my surgeon on April 13.  He wanted to see me when I was halfway through chemo (that is SO soon) so that he can do an ultrasound and talk about potential surgical options.  I'll have a lot of question for him, which is understandable, and will be curious to see if the recommendation is lumpectomy or bilateral mastectomy.  I have a feeling that the recommendation will be the former, but I want to make sure that we discuss the latter in great detail. Don't get me wrong, I am ALL for less-invasive and easier surgery, but I will be fine with the harder surgery if that is what I need to do to get better.  Will be an interesting appointment for sure.

My barfiness was not too terrible today.  Present but not debilitating.  I usually feel pretty well in the morning, and the barfiness increases as the day wears on.  That is probably from a combination of being tired and having looked at a computer screen all day. I was also very tired today.  Slept until 8am and will probably go to bed at 8 or 9pm tonight.  My body is doing some pretty intense work right now so sleepiness is also understandable.

My aunt said to me the other day "Everything was so surreal on that first day.  We kept thinking that you would call back and say that the doctor mixed up your test results."  I kept waiting for that call too to be honest.  It never came. There was no mix up, unfortunately.  I still have plenty of "is this really happening" moments, but they are fewer and further between as the days wear on.  It is happening, and I am doing my best to handle it with grace.  I will get through this.

No comments:

Post a Comment