Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Day 48 - Round 3

My third chemo is history!  One more AC to go then I  move on to Taxol, which everyone says is much kinder to the system..the digestive system at least.  I look forward to that.

My oncologist appointment went very well today.  Very well.  The tumor continues to shrink and respond very well to the chemo, which is extremely positive news.  The measurements came in smaller, and we all agree that the volume has reduced significantly too. This news certainly makes sitting in that chair for chemo much much easier to manage.

We spent some time talking about side effects from chemo this morning  (I seem to be experiencing most of them where some people experience few), and the doctor didn't say that he wanted to consider reducing my dose because I preempted him and said "I have two more AC and just want to power through."  He looked relieved and said that he didn't want to reduce my dose anyway.  If it's working, I am not changing a thing.  Barfiness be damned. 

I know that I have said this before, but I really like my doctor a lot.  He's very approachable, extremely smart, experienced, and very caring.  All good things for someone who is working with me to make some pretty major life decisions.  Of course, I went in with a list of questions and some reading material for the doctor.  When I asked him if I was his most annoying patient, he laughed and said that he likes patients who collaborate with him and want to discuss things vs. just blindly following his advice.  I like that he likes that. 

I've been documenting my chemo infusions via photograph, which may sound weird, but I feel like they should be documented.  I want people to know that I am ok and, more importantly, still me.  Still smiling, still being a mom, still being a wife, still cracking jokes, and still living my life.  Here's one from today (dup from Facebook earlier in the day).

Still me!

I am loving all of my new headwear options too.  I have a great collection of baseball caps, scarves, and knit caps.  I've tried all types and don't have a strong preference for one vs. the others at this point.  The scarves do look pretty and are good for occasions when I feel like being a bit more dressed up.  Baseball caps are perfect for every day wear.  They are easy, versatile, and I have a lot of options. The knit caps are perfect for when I get cold, which is often.  I haven't worn my wig out yet but have that as an option too. Who knew that I would have so much fun losing my hair.

Speaking of losing my hair, I still have some hanging on for dear life, but not much. The top of my head is very patchy, and I really held my breath washing it after the gym last night.  Not too many casualties from the wash, thankfully. I am sure that round 3 will be the knockout round for my hair which is fine.  I am ready for it to be gone at this point because I am shedding really badly, but I can't bring myself to take a razor to it yet.  Maybe in a few days, but I just don't want to.  I'd rather let it come out on its own still but reserve the right to change my mind about that at any time.

As has been typical to my experience, the infamous barfiness set in as the day wore on.  My stomach mocks the anti-nausea meds that I have.  Maybe mocks is too gentle of a word.  My stomach flips the anti-nausea meds the bird. Today was a good day, and I am one step closer to the end of chemo. Working through the plan here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment