Friday, March 27, 2015

Day 51 - Mayo

No, not the condiment.  The clinic.  I got a call from the Mayo Clinic clinical trial coordinator today, and my name is officially in the hat for the TNBC clinical trial vaccine that I have previously mentioned.  Of course, the coordinator had absolutely no other information on when the trial will open, exactly how to qualify, etc. But she did say that they are working on finalizing funding and are also hoping to present data from phase 1 of this trial at the end of May.  The trial will be for early stage TNBC cases (me) who have completed traditional treatment (will be me), but she did mention that there will be some rules on timing from treatment completion to starting the trial. She was unsure of the timing. I also am still not sure about the folate alpha receptor protein and how/when I will need to test for that, but she said that I did not need to do anything further at this point. The coordinator was also unsure if the trial would be a double blind (some participants get the medicine and some get a placebo) study, which would be important to know.

Anyway, a lot of "I don't knows" came from the call, but I am glad that I got the call and am on the list for further consideration.  Makes me feel like I am doing as much as I can at this point to ensure long-term treatment success for me and for others.  This could end up being a really amazing treatment, and I am happy to lend a hand (or a whole body) if I can.

The nausea remained at a firm "medium" during the day today.  It was not too horrible but not too great at the same time.  I am eating as normally as possible and am got some very moderate exercise today too.  Both help a lot I think.

My brother-in-law, Ryan, arrived today for the weekend, and I am SO glad that he is here.  He is the first family member that I saw on Day 1 and has been by my side (as have so so many others) for the past 50 days.  He's here to see us and do a really great 10K race in town.  I was hoping to do the race with him (even if just walking), but there is no way that I can do it.  If it was next weekend, I would walk, but not this.  We'll plan to meet him after and grab some brunch.

Henry continues to be amazing.  He is very happy to snuggle with me on the couch after he gets home from school which is wonderful.  He is also very funny and entertaining.  This morning, he told me that he wanted to keep his hair even though I was losing mine.  Not a problem, bud.  You can keep your shaggy blonde locks that desperately need to be trimmed.  

A neighbor, who is going through his own battle with cancer, dropped off some hair clippers for me today in case I want to use them.  He saw my patchy noggin yesterday so wanted me to have the clippers just in case.  I may use them.  There is only so much lint rolling of my own hair that can happen on a daily basis. 

1 comment: