Friday, March 6, 2015

Day 30 - Oh Brother

It's officially brother weekend 1 of several for 2015.  Mike hopped on a plane today to go and visit one of his brothers in Virginia, and one of my brothers came down for the weekend.  I have 4 wonderful brothers, 2 biological brothers and 2 by marriage, and in turn, Henry has 4 wonderful uncles.

Henry, like me, is lucky to have great uncles.  Frank, Ben, Ryan and Kevin all think that Henry has hung the moon, and Henry certainly reciprocates those feelings.  Franklin waited until late in the night for Henry to be born and was one of the first people to hold him. Ben has spent countless days running up and down the beach with Henry. Ryan spent an entire morning building Henry a giant boat with a cardboard box and random household items.  Kevin sat on our couch for hours with newborn Henry napping on his chest.  Kevin didn't move because he didn't want to wake Henry and spoil those perfect moments.  These are small examples of how these men have dedicated their time and their hearts to my son.  It is a beautiful thing to witness, and I am so glad that Henry has such wonderful uncles...I know what it is like.

I have always been very close with my uncles and aunts and am a better person for it. Many of my happiest memories include my aunts and uncles who devoted much time to my brothers and me.  Mike ran into one of my uncles, quite randomly, tonight in Virginia, and they ended up having a drink together.  I am so jealous!

We don't really have huge plans for Brother Weekend Charleston but will have fun spending time together, relaxing, and talking.  We do intend to go to the aquarium tomorrow morning.  My dad gives me a membership to our local aquarium for my birthday every year, and it is a gift that we use over and over again.  Henry loves to see the fish and watch the scuba divers in the big tank.  Last time we went, we visited the sea turtle hospital in the basement of the aquarium.  The Charleston aquarium rescues turtles, both in the local area and along the east coast, and brings them to the aquarium for rehabilitation and release.  One patient was bitten by a shark, and another was "bitten by a boat" (as Henry says), and it is interesting to hear how far they have come and about their upcoming release.

Someone told me that I'll know when my hair is about to go by some pain in my scalp. She said that it feels like you have had your hair in tight ponytail for too long.  I started to have some of that kind of feeling on parts of my scalp today so I don't think that it will be too long now. I told Henry that I will lose my hair today, and he said "oh ok" and went back to playing a game. Sweet Henry.

I do have an amendment to a blog post from yesterday:  I am ALSO looking forward to next week's chemo treatment because I will be one step closer to being DONE with chemo!!  Someone pointed out that I should have mentioned that, and she is absolutely right.  Next week's chemo will be 2/8 so I will only have 6 more to go.  #math.

No comments:

Post a Comment