Sunday, March 22, 2015

Day 46 - The Team

It takes a team to fight cancer, and I happen to have the best one out there.  I'll admit that I have to do the hardest work here, but my team is working hard too.  I got to see a lot of those team members this weekend and will see even more in the upcoming weeks, and that makes me so happy.

The team formed instantaneously on Day 1, starting with Mike.  He was, of course, my first phone call, and it was the hardest call that I had to make.  Granted, none of the calls were easy.  I mean, I had to tell my parents that their baby has cancer.  That is tough.

I was in DC for work conducting interviews for a position that we had open (how I managed that mentally is somewhat beyond me), and one of my co-workers/friends knew that I could be getting the news that I did that day.  Thank God she knew because all I had to do was look at her to tell her "it's cancer."  I just walked into her office and she hugged me for a long time while I cried.  I will never forget that.

I also saw a few other key team members that day.  One of my brothers who lives in the DC area texted me and said "I'm picking you up at 5:30."  I have no idea if he had plans that night, but if he did, he cancelled them just to be with me. I was so grateful.  I also emailed my aunt/uncle who live in the DC area early in the day on Day 1 to ask if I could come over that night.  I totally imposed on their night, but I had to see them.  (so needy of me)

I needed to be around people who love me, and all of those people listed above love me a lot.  I would have hosted a mini family reunion that night had I the opportunity.  It's not terribly like me as I enjoy some alone time and tend to take advantage of that when I travel, but there was no being alone for me that night.

I talked to one team member for an hour that night, an aunt who has waged her own battle with breast cancer.  I talked to countless people on Days 1 and 2 (and probably for many more days after that). I did a lot of talking but also did a lot of listening on those early days, and I continue to get such great support from my team on a daily basis.

It was hard for me to say goodbye to my mother and father-in-law this morning.  We had a very fun weekend together.  I felt great all weekend and had a normal appetite which was very nice.  I look forward to one more day of feeling well before round 3 on Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. I thought of you often this past weekend as Steve and I helped Kara at the USC Dance Marathon. Kara came to me many times in tears during the event, the first time was when she said "Nancy just made a donation" Another was when she hit her personal goal of 3,000.000 and the final was when they reached their goal of over half a million. As you know it does not matter if you are a child or an adult but cancer hits all of us in one way or another. It was amazing to see all the miracle families come to the event and tell their stories. Remember to keep fighting as miracles happen in all shapes, sizes and ages. Love you!!! Ellen

    ReplyDelete