Sunday, May 17, 2015

Day 102 - Restless

I had a pretty restless night last night.  I took 2 Benadryl before bed and was unsure if I should take a Xanax on top of that...won't make that mistake again.  Bring on the sedatives.  I have an area right above my port that is red and itchy so I took the Benadryl for some relief.  The itchy area is contained to a perfect circle right above one side of my double port, and if it persists, I will call the doctor.  I just don't want them to tell me to come in to have it looked at..would much prefer to pretend like nothing is going on. 

Despite my lack of sleep, today was a pretty good day.  I lazed around for most of the morning then convinced myself to run a few errands.  Post-errands, I went to see Pitch Perfect 2 which did not disappoint.  It was not as good as the first movie, but that tends to be par for the course.  I love going to the movies and don't have the opportunity to do so very often so take advantage when I can. 

After the movies, I went out in search of a rashguard to help with sun protection since chemo makes the skin ultra sensitive to the sun.  My only criteria for the rashguard were inexpensive and a dark color since they can become discolored by sunscreen.  I was finally successful in the boy's section of Walmart (don't judge, they were $8).  I will not win any fashion awards, but I care not.  I also picked up a few very inexpensive pairs of cotton shorts for lounging/sleeping in my on-going effort to combat the VERY ANNOYING hot flashes. 

I managed to get the dog around the block before I crashed on the couch. I'm still pretty achy from chemo, but I think that the walking helps combat that a little bit.  My oncologist is also not going to be pleased by the fact that I am definitely experiencing some neuropathy.  My fingers are moderately numb, and numbness in my feet comes and goes.  It is not terrible, but it is certainly noticeable.  Right before I started chemo, Dr. K said that he wanted me to get through treatment with no side-effects.  That ship has obviously sailed, but I think he is going to be particularly upset by the neuropathy since nerve damage from chemo can be permanent.  I may be facing a chemo dose reduction in the future, but we'll see how it resolves itself over the next two weeks until I see my doctor again. 

I'm also going to have to talk to my surgeon about a cyst that I have on my right side.  I know that it is a cyst - a mammogram, 2 ultrasounds, and an MRI have all told me that.  I know that it is a cyst, but it is sometimes painful which is not good for me mentally so I am going to ask him to either aspirate it or remove it entirely when I have my lumpectomy. I've read that aspiration of cysts can make them less painful so that might be the best bet.  I've had this cyst for at least 4 years (found it when I was pregnant with Henry), and it has been noticeable/painful before (many, many times), but I just can't deal anymore.  Aches and pains in the post-cancer world are just different than they were before my diagnosis.

Early to bed tonight in an attempt to recoup some of the sleep that I missed last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment