Thursday, May 28, 2015

Day 113 - What to Say

A very nice woman who works at my dentist's office came up to me yesterday afternoon and said "I'm sorry that I didn't say anything to you last week when you were here.  I didn't know what to say, but I want you to know that I am thinking about you and praying for you."  It's hard to know what to say sometimes, but what she said was perfect.  Sometimes, the simplest words mean the very most, and it is wonderful to know when someone is thinking about you or saying prayers for you. 

I regret not offering up similar words to some who have been hurting and know that I will never miss an opportunity again.  I simply didn't know how powerful those words are but I do now. I've noticed myself becoming much more forthcoming when telling people how I feel about them (in a nice way), and that is a good thing. No one can hear "I love you" too many times.

I've also become much more direct when things bother me or feel a bit off, and that has been welcome.

Had a great appointment with my therapist this afternoon.  I really like her a lot, and I think that she is going to really be able to help me adjust some of my thinking.  She spent a lot of time talking about how the mind can really impact physical well-being, and it reminded of something that happened on Day 1.

On Day 1, I knew that my surgeon was going to call me with the results of my biopsy and he was either going to tell me that I have cancer or that I don't.  When I saw a Charleston number show up on my phone, my heart started to race, my face flushed, my hands started to shake, and I could hardly breathe.  That all happened before I even answered the phone. Just recounting that story here made my heart beat a little bit faster.

The quest to focus on healthy thoughts continues and learning how to do so will be an important part of my healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment