Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Day 104 - On the Mend

Henry is officially under doctor's care in SC and is on the mend.  The doctor reviewed his x-rays from the ER in VA and thinks that he saw a break but is not entirely convinced that he has a fracture in his elbow and thinks that he'll be able to determine more during a follow up visit next week once some of the swelling has gone down.  In the meantime, Henry is the proud owner of a red hard cast and is really thrilled about it.  He rattled off 5 color choices when prompted but finally settled on red.

After the doctor, we went to Whole Foods to grab some lunch with a gift card that we had.  I am glad that Whole Foods is not closer to our house because I am a fool for their salad bar and tend to pick the heaviest items that they have.  I would be broke.  As we were driving away, I noticed a piece of paper flapping under the windshield wiper.  I MacGyvered it from the windshield and saw the note below:

Someone must have spotted me getting out of the car and felt compelled to leave such a kind note.  This type of gesture is rare under any circumstances, but I appreciate it so much.  This woman (absolutely a woman's handwriting) did not have to take the time out of her day to let me know that she was thinking about me, but she did, and I am very grateful.  Henry and I must have been quite a sight walking in to the store hand-in-hand - me with my bald head and him with his red cast.  Mike was a few steps ahead of us, thankfully, as he would have totally thrown off our image.

We kept Henry home from his preschool today because of the timing of his doctor's appointment and because we did not want to send him back until he had a hard cast.  He'll be the talk of the school tomorrow and will enjoy telling his friends all about his trip to Virginia and his new arm wear.

I am glad that we were able to get Henry to a local doctor today and got him into a hard cast. He can do much more with the new cast, and I am not as nervous that he will further damage his elbow.  I had to battle with our pediatrician's office yesterday to get Henry an appointment today.  They initially told me that a referral would take up to 3 days.  When I explained to them that we do not need referrals for our insurance, I just needed a recommendation for a local doctor, the receptionist told me to still expect a 3-day turnaround.  After a call to the practice administrator at our pediatrician's office and a conversation with another, very helpful, receptionist, things moved much faster.  Funny how that happens.  I hate to be so pushy (well I don't really hate to be), but I am not waiting 3 days for them to give me the phone number for another doctor.  Sorry...I'm just not.  Don't mess with mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment