Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Day 90 - Uneventful

Today was delightfully uneventful.  I spent some time recapping last week's event with members of our staff today and have more on tap for tomorrow.  I got some good feedback from the group and will utilize it for future events.  No matter how well an event goes, there are always a few things that go wrong.  It was good for me to hear about those things and the good parts of the show.

One complaint is that there was not enough coffee available for attendees at any given time during the show.  That is easy enough to fix but also cracks me up a little bit.  Coffee at hotels ranges in price from $85-$120 per gallon.  This particular hotel charged $92 (plus 24% service charge plus tax) for one gallon of coffee. One gallon of coffee!  Coffee is the biggest racket going for conferences...think about how many gallons we'd have to order to give each of our 2000 attendees one cup of coffee.  It's kind of crazy.  Rant over, but coffee is expensive.

I've found myself to be a bit emotional over the past week or so, and I can't really figure out why. I think that it just part of the process and part of what I will have to deal with on occasion.  I've tried to keep it in check, but I do get a little weepy sometimes.  Oh well.  I am allowed.

A friend of ours from NJ is in town for work today and is staying with us.  I saw him very briefly this evening when I dropped Mike off downtown to meet him, and I will see him more in the morning (I am sure that I will be asleep when they get home tonight).  It is always fun when business brings people here so we can see them.

Henry wanted me to "read" him his kids' atlas at bedtime tonight.  We flipped through it and noted the places that we want to visit.  We've got a big travel agenda so I better keep working hard and accruing vacation time.  He still really wants to go to Asia, including Russia.  When I told him how cold it is in Russia, he said "Mom, we'll just bring our coats."  Fair point.

Again, uneventful day today, and that is just fine with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment