Monday, May 11, 2015

Day 96 - Pep Talk

I went for a bike ride during my lunch break today, and it felt great. It was hot outside, perfectly sunny, and I got in a good workout.  During my ride, I gave myself a big pep talk...out loud.  Like a true crazy person, I was talking to myself while I was out riding my bike.  I just needed to actually hear the words that I was saying vs. think them. Thankfully, there were no other riders out on the path today.

I have to get myself geared up for chemo, and I also have to make sure that my thoughts are in the right place, in general.  I always get a bit anxious right before chemo which can lead to some tough thoughts.  I am pretty sure that I worked most of them out during the conversation that I had with myself.

I also decided to "unfollow" some of the blogs that I have been reading.  Everyone's experience with cancer is so unique that it is not always helpful to get into the nitty gritty on someone else's diagnosis.  Sometimes it helps, sometimes it hurts.  Right now, it is hurting. I can always go back to reading them when/if I want to.  I still plan to keep in touch with my Facebook group, but there may come a time when I need to step back from that too. That would be ok.

My mom arrived early evening and is going to be here all week.  I am so glad that she is here and that we'll have some quality time this week.  She is taking me to chemo tomorrow and will be stuck with me there for at least 5 hours.  Now THAT is superb QT time.  Bless her for signing up to come and sit with me for that long.  I'll be in a nice comfy recliner, and she will be in some barely padded armchair.  I encouraged her to bring a lot to do and hope that she heeded my advice. I'll probably also ask her to go out and get some lunch for us at some point since we'll be there until at least 3pm (that time assumes that the office will be running on time which is rarely the case).

Speaking of, I had to call my oncologist's office earlier today to confirm my appointment time tomorrow.  The reminder phone call that I got said that the appointment is at 10, and the email reminder said that the appointment is at 9:30.  When I called to find out the correct time, the person on the other line said "well we have you down for both 9:30 and 10:00 for some reason so why don't you just come at 9:30 to be on the safe side."  My response, "I spend a lot of time in that waiting room so would prefer to know the exact time of my appointment so that I don't have to wait longer than necessary."  She could not figure out what to do next so connected me to someone who could confirm that my appointment is, in fact, scheduled for 9:30.  The office staff is usually really good so I am not sure what happened with the person who originally took my call. I hate to be like that, but I really do spent a lot of time in that waiting room. 

On the eve of chemo #6, I am feeling pretty well both physically and mentally (especially after my pep talk).  I am about to round the corner to see the chemo finish line.  I can't see it quite yet, but it is getting nearer.

No comments:

Post a Comment