Thursday, April 2, 2015

Day 57 - Date

My mom and Glen are down here at Kiawah for my mom's spring break, and they agreed to host our smallest person for the night.  Mike and I took advantage of the free babysitting and went out to dinner.  Comp babysitting and a restaurant gift card = excellent date night.  It was nice to go out for a little while, and I appreciated the change of pace and scenery.  In general, when we go out, we meet up with friends who we don't get to see often, but it was nice to have some time together tonight.  

Henry eats up the attention from his grandparents and other family members so there is no doubt that he was in heaven. He was a bit sad that Mike and I were not coming with him to the beach, but I have a feeling that he got over that pretty much instantly. We're pretty attached to the little person, but some time away is good for everyone sometimes. Some proof that he's having a blast (and man, he needs a hair cut):


Today was, otherwise, pretty uneventful.  I continue to comb the depths of the internet for more useful information on triple negative breast cancer supplemental treatment, research, and scientific discussions.  It seems as though more and more information is becoming available, but there is still not enough.  I am registered for 2 webinars slated for later this month and am working on next week's list of questions for my doctor.  I know that it is not much, but I need to feel like I am doing more...like I am doing everything that I can.  And I truly am.  I am doing everything that I can.

One thing that has become a moderate obsession is something called pathological complete response (PCR).  A pathological complete response occurs when neoadjuvant (pre-surgery) chemo wipes out all traces of cancer in the body.  This is something that we will find out post-surgery, after a pathologist has reviewed excised tissue and lymph nodes.  A PCR would be a very very good thing and is something that does happen fairly often...something that I want very badly.  I actually asked my oncologist about adding a third type of chemo to the mix in order to increase the possibility of getting a PCR. He was resistant to adding the particular chemo that I brought up due to reported side effects, but I am going to ask him again next week. I am also going to ask my surgeon to do an ultrasound when I see him on April 13 (he's got a machine in his office and is always happy to fire it up for me) to see how things look.

I know, what kind of crazy person asks for more chemo?  Well, one who wants the best possible chance to improve her overall prognosis. I am also going to ask about the potential of adjuvant (post-surgery) chemo if I do not get a PCR.  I like to know all of my options and create new ones if necessary.

Someone was asking me today where I was leaning surgery-wise, and when I told her that I didn't know yet, she said "well if you have a mastectomy, you can never have breast cancer again, right?"  I think that line of thinking is common - chop them off, and you're good.  Unfortunately, that is not the case with breast or many other types of cancer.  Breast cancer can show up in many areas of the body, and it's not good if it does.

A lot of my internet research, as of late, has been reading survivor stories.  I kind of have to dig to find them because people who are several years out from diagnosis have moved on.  They are not participating in forum discussions or posting in Facebook groups.  They have put cancer in the past and are living their lives.  I love that and love happening upon their stories even more. That whole "hope" word really kicks in.

No comments:

Post a Comment