Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Day 69 - CarboEd

My oncologist asked me to make an appointment with a nurse for an educational session about the carboplatin chemo that I will get next week.  I had to get my lupron injection today and was able to do some learning at the same time.  It sounds like the carbo isn't exactly going to be a breeze, but I did ask for this additional chemo, and I only have 4 treatments.  I can do 4 treatments.  It is likely that I will experience some nausea on the carbo, which is unfortunate.  I was really hoping to get a break from barfiness, and maybe I still will, but it sounds like I will experience some.  Other side effects can include fatigue, low white blood cell counts, neuropathy, and some other really weird stuff that is very unlikely like ringing in my ears.

The last two side effects would be cause for concern, but the others are pretty standard chemo fare.  The carbo will hit my white blood cells harder than the A/C or the taxol which is why I will be going 3 weeks between treatments instead of 2.  I will also still be getting the neulasta injection the day after each treatment to help with blood cell counts.  So the next 4 chemo infusions will likely suck (I am such a poet), but that is ok.  I will take a few sucky days after each treatment if it means that I will get better. The next treatments will also take at least 4-5 hours so I will have to plan for a very long day at the old cancer center. 

The nurse did ask me if I had really bad morning sickness when I was pregnant with Henry.  I did not, and when I asked her why she asked that, she said that people who have experienced morning sickness tend to get worse nausea with chemo.  Interesting, and I am sad that I am the exception to that rule.

I also kind of spent last night and today waiting for the other shoe to drop, but it never did!  For the past two chemo cycles, I have gotten some additional side effects - bone pain and sore throat - on the Tuesday after each infusion.  The nausea and fatigue were way worse for this round, but maybe I have avoided additional fun. 

I've said it before and will say it again, I like the nurses in my doctor's office so much.  They are so kind, very funny, and full of tips and tricks to make chemo more manageable.  I am very grateful for them.  I am brainstorming something fun to take to them for my last chemo treatment..there will definitely be baked goods and other treats involved.  A friend told me that I would find the nurses so valuable during this process, and she was right.  They are in the trenches with me. 

Another good day all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment