Thursday, April 16, 2015

Day 71 - Senior

Wednesday is senior citizen discount day at my local grocery store.  Patrons who meet the age qualifications are given a 5% discount each Wednesday.  For whatever reason, I find myself at the grocery on Wednesdays more often than not, and the place is so crowded.  There are also a lot of mid-aisle conversations going on and checks being written for payment.  Wednesday trips to the grocery store take just a little bit longer.

I went to the store yesterday, and it was very fitting that I was there on senior citizen discount day.  I am basically a senior citizen right now.  Between hot flashes from the Lupron, soreness from the neulasta, and some major digestive issues from chemo, I should be getting a 5% discount too.  You should have seen some of the items in my grocery cart yesterday.  I won't go into detail here, but suffice it to say that my mom had a really good laugh when I told her about them.  My own mother..kidding. I was laughing as I told her too.  One MUST have a sense of humor during times like these.  It is a mandatory coping mechanism.

I took Henry to school this morning, and we had a great jam session on the way.  90s on 9 on Sirius was on fire this morning, starting with Ice Ice Baby.  As soon as it came on, Henry yelled "Mom, it's Ice Ice Baby."  I am glad that he has my appreciation for the finer things in life.   Outkast were also featured, and there are few better ways to start the day than with Andre 3000.

Mike had meetings downtown all day today as part of the College of Charleston's School of Communications advisory board so Henry and I were flying solo all day.  He and I decorated a birthday cake for my dad (more cake!) and had a low key evening.  I ordered Chinese food from a local delivery place. Mike hates Chinese food, and I love it so I took advantage of him being out for dinner.  

I was thinking about two of my cousins the other day.  When they were little and got upset about something, their parents would say "happy, happy, happy" to them to try to encourage them to snap out of whatever toddler woes they were currently facing.  They would often repeat back the words "happy, happy, happy" through tears and in a very pitiful voice which was insanely adorable. Something had me down recently, and I said "happy, happy, happy" to myself several times that day in an attempt to snap myself out of a funk. I think that it worked.  I slapped a smile on my face and did what I could to change my attitude. I can't even remember what I was mopey about so clearly it was not that significant. 

Happy, happy, happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment