Sunday, April 5, 2015

Day 60 - Mentally

I am in a pretty good place mentally right now.  I have found that my mental state seems to directly correlate with my physical state, and that makes sense.  It's hard to be very positive when I feel awful.  I've been doing a few things to continue to help myself mentally and emotionally.  I found a local group of BC survivors though the Young Survival Coalition.  They get together in-person for dinner once a month and have a moderately active Facebook group. Their next dinner is on April 28, and I am going to try to join...no reason why I should not be able to make it.  I think that it will be very helpful for me to be around others who can directly relate to my experience.  It appears as though most members of the group are post-treatment as well which will be even better for me. They've been in my shoes and can absolutely relate to me.

The other thing that I am going to do is take advantage of the Young Survival Coalition's one-on-one peer support program.  They will link me up with someone who is post-TNBC treatment, and I think that will also be very helpful.  I have a "coach" through my hospital who is very nice, but she is quite a bit older (mid-60s) than me so I don't relate to her as well as I think I would someone who is closer to my age.  She is getting ready to celebrate 5 years of NED (no evidence of disease), which is a big big deal so I am sure that she will have lots of upcoming celebrations.  I am very glad to know her and so happy for her NED status.

There are many programs available to me and to others in similar shoes, and I am glad that I have found them. I have never had a reason to need support groups or the like until now, but I sure am glad that they exist.  Having cancer is a life-changing, world-altering, mind-blowing thing, and I am so grateful that it is not something that I have to face alone.  Between the wonderful support of my team and other resources that I have found, my new world is not quite as scary. I will continue to utilize all that is available to me for help coping now and then moving on as best as I can after treatment.

The acronym "NED" is on that I see on message boards and forums a lot, and it's one that I look forward to hearing in relation to me one day.  Doctors will never tell someone that she is "cured" or "does not have cancer anymore."  They will say that there is no evidence of disease or that someone is in remission.  It's just how it is, and I imagine that hearing the words that there is "no evidence of disease" are about some of the sweetest that someone with cancer can hear.

Today was a great one. My mom and Glen came over for brunch before they left town, and we otherwise spent a lot of time outside playing.  It was a gorgeous day, and it was nice to be able to take advantage of the wonderful weather.  The Easter Bunny stopped by to see Henry as well, and he was very excited.

Happy Easter to all!  

No comments:

Post a Comment