Monday, April 27, 2015

Day 82 - Walk

I went for a fairly long walk during my lunch break today. I took the dog for a quick lap then dropped her off at home and kept going (after taking a quick break to answer a few emails). Despite the fact that our dog is a total and complete spaz, she can't hang for long walks. I was able to walk faster than a stroll for once in a long while, and it felt good to get my heart rate up (on purpose) for a bit.

My event is going well so far...I've been getting regular reports from Florida for which I am very grateful.  There were a few proverbial fires that had to be put out, and I am sure that there will be more, but that is the nature of the beast.  I am very happy to report that we have exceeded our registration goals, both in terms of budget and number of attendees and will still be accepting walk-up registrants so those numbers will keep climbing.  I have to prepare a report for my boss to present to our Board of Directors on Wednesday, and it will be a happy update. 

A new friend of mine had her first chemo today.  She's 20-years old and had to leave college at the end of her sophomore year to be treated for bone cancer.  I really hate cancer.  Why did cancer happen to her? She's doing well so far, and I hope that trend continues for the rest of the week. 

I have an appointment with the radiation oncologist tomorrow and am working on a list of questions for her.  I was filling out my intake paperwork, and one question struck me as funny "is there anything that you are concerned about?"  Um, yes.  I am concerned that I have cancer.  I used to breeze through doctors' new patient information packets.  Now, I have a list of medications that is a mile long, and I have myriad other complaint and issues to note.  I guess I will never be considered an easy patient ever again.

I am also supposed to go to the dentist for a cleaning next week.  I can't confirm that appointment until Friday when I am to get blood work again to see if my counts are ok enough to go to the dentist.  I had to call the dentist's office and go into that whole story today, and they also told me to ask my oncologist if I was allowed to have x-rays or needed to skip them this time.  So much to think about these days. 

I took Henry to school this morning, and a little girl in his class came right up to me and asked "why don't you have any hair?  Can I see your head?"  So I took off my hat and told her that I have to take some medicine that makes my hair fall out.  She gave me a bit of a skeptical look as though she didn't believe my story, but finally accepted it and moved on.  Teachable moment, I suppose.

My mom gave Henry a very very large stuffed giraffe for Valentine's Day this year, and he decided to name the giraffe "Mother."  It makes me laugh every time when he says "Can I bring Mother downstairs? Will you please make sure that Mother stays in my bed all day?"  Mother the giraffe.

1 comment:

  1. Cancer sucks!!!! I have thought about how filling out forms will never be easy again too! And I went to the dentist last week where I had my first two cavities I have had since I was at least 5 (of course!). I used to hate those mouth shots but they felt like nothing after all this other stuff! The hygienist asked if I minded the x-Rays and I told her I was good as long as I didn't have to lay still for 45 minutes haha! New perspective for sure!

    ReplyDelete