Sunday, April 26, 2015

Day 81 - Strawberry Fields

We live near (very near) a quite rural area where there are many farms.  We go to one particular farm for our pumpkins every October, another stocks a produce stand near our house, and there is another farm that offers strawberry picking in the spring.  We had never been, but that changed today.  The farm is not regularly open on Sundays so they said to call in advance to find out, and thankfully they were open today.

Mike and I both have fond memories of strawberry picking (my Grandmother went every year, and I joined her when I could) so we were happy to be able to take Henry. Henry loved it.  He spent a lot of time carefully selecting ripe strawberries and steering clear from ones that were "mushed."  It was a really nice way to spend a few hours, and we've got about 5 pounds of fresh strawberries to show for it.


Mike declined my offer to make a strawberry pie (CRAZY) but asked for strawberry shortcakes tonight.  Easier on me, but how can one turn down a strawberry pie?  He was clearly never lucky enough to have my Nena's strawberry pie.  Boy was that good.

I also picked up some fresh beets from the farm to have for dinner tonight.  I love beets so will roast them have have them with a little goat cheese...one of my very favorite food combinations.  My obsession with beets and goat cheese started on our honeymoon when I had that at a restaurant called Bistro Jeanty in Napa Valley.  So good.

I am happy to report that I was as involved in my event as possible today.  Today was a big setup day, and I was able to answer a lot of questions, provide input, and see pictures of everything coming together.  I've never been happier to spend part of my weekend answering work calls, texts and emails.  A bit sick of me, but I am glad that I am involved and needed.

This was a really great weekend.  I am so happy and grateful that I felt well and that we were able to enjoy some time as a family.  Sometimes we are moving too fast for our own good and forget to slow down and have a little bit of fun.

1 comment:

  1. If you still feel like making a pie, you can mail it to me. Please and thank you.

    ReplyDelete