Thursday, April 23, 2015

Day 78 - Packing

I should be trying on my business clothes and praying that they fit today so that they can be packed for my show.  I am not, though.  I am sitting at my desk with a heating pad strapped to my back frantically making sure that all of the people who will be at the show have what they need for a successful event. 

My pre-event packing ritual is borderline comical and takes several days to complete.  I take over one of our guest bedrooms and put out all of my outfit options by day then add in a few backup options as well in case of wardrobe malfunctions or mind changes.  I also bring as many pairs of dress shoes as I can possibly fit into my bag.  The key to being on one's feet for 4 days straight is to rotate shoes often so that the pain gets spread out to different areas of the foot.  If let the pain get too bad from one pair of shoes, you may as well kiss your ability to walk normally goodbye.  I've made that mistake before and will not do so again. Spread out the pain.

I had my last pre-show staff meeting today during which I went over final logistics and tied up any loose ends.  Everyone is doing to do a great job, and it will be a successful event.  I've got a long list of to-dos to keep me busy and will be on high alert for any needed guidance.  I won't whine too much more about not being there, but it is a big deal for me.  SEEING the event take place is the best part of event planning.  It's so satisfying to see all of our hard work come to life.

I know that I will still be very happy with the end results, and I've obviously got much more important matters to handle here at home.  There will be plenty of other events in my life.

My stomach was ok today.  Not perfect, but not terrible so that is nice.  I was really tired all day though and a little bit achy.  Nothing that I could not manage, but I had that "am I coming down with something" feeling all day today.  Of course, I am not coming down with anything.  That is just the chemo doing it's chemo magic.  I did send Mike out to Walgreen's for their finest heating pad this afternoon.  My back gets sore from sitting at my desk these days, and the heat helps a lot.

This round of chemo shall soon be a distant memory, and I will get to put away the heating pad, nausea meds, advil, insanely early bedtimes, and epsom salt baths until next time.  In the meantime, I will enjoy my senior citizen status and be kind of glad that I am not working my way through an elaborate packing ritual.

No comments:

Post a Comment