Thursday, April 30, 2015

Day 85 - Relief

My event officially ended today, and I am so relieved.  I am always relieved when an event is over, but I am even more relieved this year due to the extreme extenuating circumstances under which it was executed.  The event was a success all around, and I attribute that to a massive amount of teamwork, hiring excellent vendors and pooling of resources.  I am really pleased with the end product and know that others are as well.

It's time to wrap this one up, put a bow on it, and move onto the fall event.  It is also time to start looking at venues for 2018 for our large event.  These things require so much space that they have to be booked very far out.  We're set for 2016 and 2017 but need to give serious thought to 2018.

It is also time to allow myself a few more sick days here and there.  I owe that to me and my health and plan to use more of the sick time that I have. I am also taking tomorrow off to spend with Henry, Mike and Ben.  A day off is definitely in order.

I've also scheduled an appointment with a psychologist who has experience with cancer patients for mid-May.  I am very much looking forward to the appointment and to the opportunity to speak with a professional who also has a very objective perspective on my life.  Cancer difficult both physically and mentally.  I am tackling the physical side of things but have not given as much focus as necessary to the mental/emotional so am making that a priority.  The doctor that I will see came recommended by the nurse navigator at the cancer center, and I enjoyed the brief phone conversation that we had so I am optimistic that she will be a good fit for me.

The rain finally stopped so I was able to go for a nice long walk during my lunch break today. I would really like to slowly get back into running too, and there is no reason that I can't as long as I am feeling well.  My radiation oncologist told me that I will be restricted from any real upper body workouts after surgery and during radiation.  She said that any significant stress on my upper body during radiation could cause lymphadema which is something that I want to avoid if at all possible. Lymphadema is swelling in an arm (or leg) caused by trauma to the lymphatic system.  I will surely have some lymph nodes removed during surgery (almost everyone does no matter if cancer is present or not) which can cause lymphadema.

All that said, I will have to focus on mostly lower body exercises during that time and up to a month after radiation so I may as well try to get into a good routine sooner rather than later.  I think that I will also get a bike at some point so that I can go for rides with Henry and also utilize a new bike path that is right outside of my neighborhood. I told Mike that a bike would be a good idea for Mother's Day.....HINT HINT.  It wasn't exactly a hint.

My brother arrived at 5pm today, and I am so glad that he is here. Henry was beside himself.  He's been talking about Uncle B's arrival all week long.  It will be fun to spend time with him this weekend.  Right now, we're going to settle in and watch the NFL draft...I'm just glad to have a break from golf.

No comments:

Post a Comment