Saturday, April 18, 2015

Day 73 - Hollywood

Right before Day 1, I had to take a work trip to Hollywood, Florida to do some pre-event planning for my upcoming conference.  Mike and Henry joined me for this trip, and we stayed for the weekend after I was finished with work.  They made good use of the hotel's pools and beach access while I worked, and we all spent the weekend together after my meeting wrapped up.  It was a really wonderful mini-vacation.  We relaxed, played, went out to dinner, and just enjoyed some time away in a very beautiful place.

Looking back, the trip was really perfectly timed.  I was actually supposed to see my surgeon for him to take a look at the lump right before we went away to Hollywood, and the appointment was cancelled because he was called away to surgery.  I remember being mad that the appointment was cancelled and saying to Mike "I just want him to tell me that the lump is nothing before we go on our trip."  Boy am I glad that my appointment was postponed. The trip to Florida would have been very very different with the dark cloud of "I am afraid that you may have cancer" hanging over my head.

Funny how the universe works sometimes.

Today was a good one.  We went to the aquarium this morning for a few hours.  I love our little aquarium and get a membership to it for my birthday every year.  We watched the scuba diver show in the big tank, fed the stingrays, got to pet a baby alligator, and look at all kinds of fish and other animals.  Going there is one of my favorite ways to spend a few hours, and Henry eats it up.  He is very much into sharks right now so the aquarium is perfect.

We grabbed a quick bite to eat downtown and stopped by the Home Depot for some potting soil and a jalapeño plant.  Someone sent me a beautiful hydrangea that I wanted to plant outside, and Henry has been asking to grow peppers in our back yard so I figured that we should grow some peppers that I like to eat.  I love spicy even though I've had to back off of it a little bit due to my recent digestive woes.  We also had to send a 2-foot snake along to his final reward.  It snuck up on Mike as he was putting the grill away the other night, and Mike "took care of it" but didn't dispose of it so my dad and I handled that unpleasant task.  Sometimes I feel like we live in Deliverance.  There are alligators, snakes, wild boars, deer, and countless other creatures on the prowl around here.

An early dinner at a restaurant called Wild Olive closed out the day.  Wild Olive is a small Italian restaurant near our house on Johns Island, and they just never miss.  The food is always so good.

I joined Twitter (@NTouhill).  I have no idea what I will tweet about, but I felt like it was time to join the Twitter revolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment