Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Day 63 - Barfy is the New Black

I can take zero credit for this post title.  My friend and inventor of the word "barfy" suggested it, and I love it.  I've just been waiting for the right day, and unfortunately, today is that day.  My stomach is really churning today.  While it is something that I have come to expect in the days after these treatments, it is always unwelcome and uncomfortable.  I am able to eat and keep food down, which is good.  There has been no actual barfing..just nausea.  I've been staying on top of all of my nausea meds, and I do think that they help.  I cannot cannot imagine what it would be like with out them.

One of my anti-nausea meds is a steroid that I don't love taking.  I think that it is making my weight creep back up a little bit, and I don't like that.  But it does seem to help my stomach, and I know that I should not be concerned about my weight right now.  I don't want to be overweight and bald though (yes, I just said that).  Vanity can still play somewhat of a role during cancer, right?

My food tastes are so funny these days.  On super barfy days, I really just eat whatever sounds good, and desires vary widely on any given day.  I've craved beans (black beans, refried beans, white beans, kidney beans...I sound like Forrest Gump right now), grits, bread, lemon ice, soup (lots and lots of soup), potatoes, smoothies.  The list probably goes on, but those are top of mind right now.  The beans thing is pretty funny, but not a bad craving to have.  Probably one of the healthier ones that I have these days.  I must need the vitamins and maybe the fiber.  Soup and smoothies are on the healthier side of things too..at least I can sneak some veggies into both. I eat like a real human on non-barfy days.

One of my favorite recipes (it's been a favorite for years) is one that my uncle made for me a long time ago.  It is white pasta with white beans.  Basically penne pasta, white beans, garlic, crushed red pepper, and cheese.  I suppose that the cheese could be optional, but why should it be? To me, that dish is the ultimate comfort food.  It's just so good.  I think that I have made it at least 3 times since my diagnosis, and Mike does not like it so a recipe lasts me for several days.  Bonus.

Anyway, for someone who is barfy, that is a lot of talk about food.  My food intake is a bit nuts these days so why not talk about it. I have talked about almost everything else on this blog.

I took a quick trip to the doctor's office for my Neulasta shot and will be doctor-free until Monday of next week.  The Neulasta shot makes my face turn bright red for a day or two after I get it.  It's kind of strange, but I guess it is a side-effect of the Neulasta trying to re-build blood cells.  Who knows.

The nurse who administered my chemo yesterday asked me if I was also a nurse. I guess my knowledge of cancer-related medical jargon makes me seem like I have actual experience in the medical field.  Thank you, internet.

I managed a slow walk around the block during a break from work today, and it felt good to get some mild exercise and fresh air.  I walk daily if I can, and I know that it helps me to step away from my computer for several minutes at a time.  

A blog reader and someone with much chemo experience said that she used to call chemo "drano" because of its toxicity, but a friend of her suggested that she change her mindset and call it "healing juice."  I like that very much and will happily use it. So much of this is mental.

No comments:

Post a Comment